Project Design and Problems Encountered

Re: Project Planning and Troubles the market is very kkkkk.... The mentality that makes the illiterate man a member of the Chamber of Commerce and establishes a contracting firm by paying 250 TL does not go beyond the scratch made by the engineer.....

Re: Project Planning and Troubles - Register 569: The contractor of the building, whose project we have drawn for a B+Z+3 storey residence with a project area of 3500 m^2, came to my office the other day and started to sort your requests; He said that the shops and apartments should be like pools (actually the pool said!), the balconies should be big, ... , and I don't want a pole. I'm a project engineer too, or I got in the way; Of course, sir, we do not need to make the roof of steel construction, if we make a wooden roof or a terrace roof, it would be less costly, and I made statements such as steel profiles and steelwork are a bit expensive these days. The man looked at me blankly. Turns out he meant the columns by the pole...

Re: Project Planning and Troubles These discussions have been and will continue to be made for years. For example, I will say here that "the contractor has no fault, if the engineers stopped at one point and the control mechanism worked well, there would be no problem." Then someone will say; engineers, especially new engineers are exploited, the control system is "out of control". etc. etc. Someone else will say something else. Then someone will add the rooms. Then someone will talk about their dysfunction and political structure. Then it will be the turn of the master, the journeyman. Not being able to stay at work for 24 hours, not being able to earn money, experience etc. etc. etc. Since this movie is very popular, it is occasionally released like Kemal Sunal movies. It stays in view for a while. It's a vicious circle. But if you want, let me ignite the spark again. :lol: I think the engineer should be determined and clear and should always stay in the same spot. He must defend what he knows under all circumstances. :) here you go....

Re: Project Planning and Troubles nedim brother, at least our rooms do not have such a problem. Reconsidering sim and itb fees solves all our engineering problems. I will say a lot, but I do not know who is the addressee of this. I set it up in my head, then I throw it away... I can't even speak for myself...

Re: Project Planning and Troubles :) my dear Hanifi Brother, I have a lot to say too, so I put them all together like this. I have struggled a lot on this path regarding the reputation of our profession. But even though my last name is "Yılmaz", I guess I was a little dazed :) Nowadays, I take care not to lose my individual sensitivity, that's all. With love...

Re: Project Planning and Troubles - Registration 570: The contractor of the building, for which we have been dealing with architectural studies for about 5-6 months (the owner could not decide on the location of the flats) and for which we finally drew the final projects, yesterday came to the office for the first time. Without introducing himself, the man burst into the room saying, "I expect 50% of the people I work with...", then said his name. The rest is smash, whirl, whir... You've been absent for several months, you're not dealing with owners who don't know what they want, and suddenly you say that I will give you 50% of the project value. (It sounded like a bit of a grudge, but I was very angry with this move of the man, so I had to report it here!). In the past, at least for architectural and static projects, we agreed on 60% - 65%, even though it was not even close to the value. Now I see that the project costs have dropped quite a bit. (Note: My office is in Izmir). Only small contractors better do this. We submitted a bid for approximately 20,000 m^2 site projects last summer. The offer was accepted, the champagnes were opened, a sparkling night, beautiful, but the contractor who will build the site said I'm not a dead-robber....

Re: Project Management and Troubles I am watching your recordings with interest. But I'm wondering about the missing records until 570.

Re: Project Planning and Troubles - Registration 573: This morning, we called the contractor of the building whose architectural and reinforced concrete project we drew, to find out if he would like to inspect the completion of the projects without giving it to the building inspection and the municipality (proper business we will!). Anyway, the contractor said to the boss (they are also architects) "Send the engineer to show me the projects". OK, nothing wrong here. Anyway, I went to his office, we said hello, I put the projects on the table, I started to explain. Then the doorbell rang, kebab came to the man's table, he began to eat (The man raised the pepper and ate it with his hand in front of my eyes, bit the tomato, I even had to take the chair back a step so that the juice wouldn't splash on me). He told me to continue. While he was talking, he fiddled with his phone every now and then. I said 5-10 minutes. No, due to the architectural design, I decided on the hollow block system, I chose the columns in the same dimensions and placed them systematically. It provided maximum maneuvering space for the parking lot and maximized the field of view since the columns were aligned in the shop, etc... The man suddenly interrupted me while I was talking, called someone irrelevant, spoke, then turned to me "what were you saying?" said. Anyway, in order not to do anything wrong, I left the projects and found an excuse and got out of there. Then, about an hour later, the contractor's master called, he did not approve the project we showed so that they could examine it before giving it to the building inspection and the municipality as a courtesy! He bullshited me on the phone as if the foundation beams would be 50x50 without amplitudes, the columns would be 25x50, and 10 fi 14 reinforcements would be put in it. The man ordered dimensions as if ordering a pizza, hung up the phone.

Re: Project Planning and Troubles If you don't give the required CV, you will draw these words for the rest of your life.. the only answer you will give is... take a pencil and sign it then... if you don't react, they will go above you. it is the general tactic of contractors and masters in the market to measure the heart rate ... if he eats it, he will come to you.. you will know how to say no, even if the job runs out...

Re: Project Management and Troubles What you say is true, Mr. Ozan, but there are 2 architects and 2 engineers in my office besides me. In other words, what I say and do does not only affect me. Every time I try to go out, the other employees stop me with their eyes. In other words, when the company you work for is not your own, you do not have the luxury of saying what is on your mind. One of the contractors we worked with recently came to my office to look at the projects we had drawn with another contractor friend. I told the guys a little bit about the architectural and reinforced concrete project they were going to implement, the cost analysis, alternative excavation options for the 2nd floor of the pipe to be descended under the ground for the parking lot. I guess I liked the guys, as I was leaving, the contractor said to his friend next to me, "Let's get one or two of these, we'll send them to the construction sites or something." It's like the man is buying a melon watermelon. Normally, such guys can't bother me, but when you can't respond, it gets on your nerves.

Re: Project Planning and Troubles
"Godfrey":3uorqoiw" said:
- Registration 573: Let me call you on the phone with 50x50 unpackaged foundation beams, 25x50 columns, 10 fi He drooled like 14 donuts were going to be put in, smash, whine, whir... The man ordered a size like he was ordering a pizza, hung up the phone.
what a laugh. :) Does the order take 30 minutes?

Re: Project Planning and Troubles - Registration 575: For the last three projects I have done, the company that we have prepared the ground survey report for, returns by saying that the municipality should correct the reports. In the first, the company that prepared the study made a mistake while calculating a few parameters, fortunately, it did not directly affect the reinforced concrete project. In the previous project, the company gave the soil group as C, and as you know, when earthquake loading is used in the foundations, we can increase the soil safety stress by 50%. Then the municipality's desk that checked the ground survey report said, "Where is the underground ground water level high, where is the C group, you will get D?" Therefore, since I could not increase the soil safety stress by 50%, my foundation dimensions were exposed and also the reinforcements were changed in some columns and beams because I had to do superstructure interactive analysis. I had to rearrange and revise the drawings of the project, which I put aside because it was finished. What the f... ? Currently, the firm has calculated the qem value (ground safe bearing capacity) using the SPT values at the foundation level (-3.00 m). At that level, the SPT-N values were 10-8-15 and the qem they calculated from these values was 1.60 kg/cm^2. The municipality said go calculate qem from the SPT values at -4.50 m (Shittttt....). SPT-N values at that level are 6-6-10. With these values, qem is only 1.10 kg/cm^2. Let's see, the foundations are gone again, with this qem, only the raft foundation will save. Now I'm afraid to build foundations all the time. On the one hand, the contractor keeps pushing, asking why the license did not come out, and give him an account. I'll also have to tell the man that the amount of concrete and iron for the raft foundation will increase considerably, man! I don't think it will be welcome at all. Let that ground survey company wait for work from us... As a result, I have had a new problem since the municipality started to check the ground survey reports. I can't tell you how angry I am. In fact, the municipality should check the ground survey report first, and after getting approval from there, the ground survey report should be given to the engineer who will make the reinforced concrete project. When all such projects were given to the municipality at the same time, the reinforced concrete project was thrown away when the ground survey report was changed, the reinforced concrete project was thrown away when the architectural project was changed, the owner wanted a renovation (although this is another event) the reinforced concrete project was thrown away, ...

Re: Project Planning and Troubles
"izmirlimuhendis":x4doje6g" said:
what a laugh :) Does the order take 30 minutes?
I really like what Mr. Godfrey wrote. Things that happen to one of us. But the fact that he tells it in a different style on the forum adds color to the forum. I think the number of these articles should and should be increased. Even cartoons, photos, anecdotes, interesting articles can be shared. I recently made a project consisting of beamless flooring. A friend who undertook the rough construction subcontractor of the project and also a builder called. This friend is not a journeyman. (I wrote it not to be condescending, but to understand the subject better) "I have a project, too, from the same He said, "I want the same". :) Even though I said to him: "No, these things don't happen the way you want", I couldn't explain it. The man kept saying I want the same on the phone. We will look at what we see, we suggest the most suitable carrier system options for the project, you can only choose one of them", although no man is wearing it, he does not understand, he says "I like it", he does not say anything else. Finally they came to me (in good health). ;) I don't do business with orders, I said bro and hung up. :oops:

Re: Project Planning and Troubles Indeed, you touched on the tragicomic issues of our Godfrey profession. Unfortunately, these behaviors have become part of our business. But I still follow the thread with interest. :lol:

Re: Project Planning and Troubles Let me share a memory. Columns are generally the same size on the architectural project, but if I remember correctly, I added 4-5 175725 curtains to the system, solved the system, finished the project and sent it. 3-4 days passed, I received a call from the contractor. I am quoting the dialogue exactly.. - hello, I don't know who the contractor is.. -yes here you go.. -now this is your project.. -yes.. -now that project it didn't happen.. -why not, sir.. -now a mold maker and we agreed on the mold over the architectural project. -eeeee -but you added 4-5 curtains to the project. -still "eeeeee" -the mold maker asks for additional money when the columns exceed 1 meter. - Persistently and stubbornly adding a little "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" - The mold maker wants more money of 1,500 liras.. our calculations change when you make curtains. -What about my changed accounts? I told him that I couldn't make changes in the project because I couldn't say it. I told him to go to another engineer friend if he wanted to. There was no more work from that contractor anyway. Probably someone presented him with "the formwork plan our contractor wanted."

Re: Project Planning and Troubles let me share another one (of course, I am writing these articles to encourage our friend Godfrey to write): Last time we decided to work on rib tiling in one of our projects. The contractor phoned: - Engineer, wait a minute - what happened - we have some broken pieces in our warehouse. - (as izmirlimuhendis said) eeeee - let's see if those breakers are hungover - see if it can help you ..... .... a little later the phone rang. Known person: - he is 20 years old. according to him. - I mean, should we use 20 stropors? - What happens next? I have already damaged. they were passed on to me by someone else. I love your eyes. - it happens. no problem for me. We can use it. - Well, that would be great. - I only make the floor thickness 15 cm. it'll be okay :) - what, bro, you're going to screw me up? - whoo. I evaluated your storpors :) ....... ...

Re: Project Management and Troubles Yes, the market is full of really incompetent contractors. However, as civil engineers, we are also guilty. How many of us do not make "contract projects"? Or how many of us are the site chief in the construction they have never been to?

Re: Project Planning and Problems I understand, but I also think that an engineer should not insist on the solution he proposes just to not build the project from scratch. If a job is going to be finished or if there is a more cost-effective alternative, it is thanks to the engineer that it rises before the eyes.

Re: Project Planning and Troubles - Registration 580: My last project was a medium-large scale project with a construction area of 4150 m2. We worked with the architect of the project for a long time (approximately 5 months with his studies) and we created a beautiful building both architecturally and statically. Only the ground class on which the building will be built is Z3-C, the safe bearing capacity value is 1.06 kg/cm2, and only the rafter raft foundation saved the foundation because the system was hollow. I tried too hard to ensure that all calculations and drawings of the reinforced concrete project were perfect. Anyway, we gave the projects to building control, they reviewed, approved and even liked it. Later, the building inspection left all the projects to our office, and we rose up to give it to the municipality. But just then, the contractor and owner of the project came to the office. Since the contractor had asked me for cost analysis before, I started counting on foot, so much concrete, so much iron etc. Then the contractor asked how much padding to put into the eyes of the beamed raft. I calculated from geometry and said. So far, so good. Suddenly the owner intervened. Now, they said to me, are you going to put soil on the foundation, they said to me, I don't want an earthen foundation, I'll go to another office, and left the office and got involved in all the work we've been working on for months.... ignorant guy. No matter what we said, we couldn't convince, the business broke down...

Re: Project Management and Troubles - Registration 581: 02.05.2014-İZMİR; About 60 days ago, they called the office from the construction site where I drew the reinforced concrete project, saying that the engineer was ridiculous in the calculations. The project consists of h =300 cm rigid basement floor for parking and shelter + h=400 cm ground floor for shop + 3 h=300 cm normal floors / hollow floor system. I'm very confident, but a few questions crossed my mind, wondering what happened. Anyway, the owner of the company came to the construction site with me because he was curious. When I go to the construction site, I ask the master what is there? Master, look, you put 16-fi-16 on the columns in the basement, 18-fi-22 on some of the columns on the ground floor (actually, it was 34 fi-16, I had to increase the diameter so that there was no pile of reinforcement), you put 16-fi-16 on the columns on the upper floors. “Is it nonsense?” he dived into the subject. I couldn't explain concepts such as rigid basement, relative floor offset, reinforcement optimization to the guys. In addition, although I clearly drew and showed the double-sided additional sprouts in the drawings, in the column longitudinal reinforcement expansions and application plans, in the transition from the basement to the ground floor columns, they did not find it absurd. As if someone said to question the project. Even if the basement floor concrete is poured, here is a mistake that is hard to get back to! Later, when the contractors and craftsmen started to make fun of the project in their own way, I couldn't help but say a few harsh things. Later on, when I was returning to the office, the owner of the company said I wished you hadn't quarreled. I called the building control that controls the construction site, and if you can't even inspect the column sprouts, I went and bought shoes, watermelon or something. Then I got angry with myself, but this kind of nonsense started to become more frequent...

Back