Stress stack of curtain arm cross-sections in polygonal curtains

fatihtanervural

good day ... On Saturday, 21.11.2020, I asked a question at the seminar organized by imo istanbul, there was a misunderstanding because I stated the subject incompletely, I will try to ask exactly ... "" in the intersections that connect the arms of the polygon curtains, that is, in the curtain head areas, the sudden What do you think about the stress concentrations that occur due to cross-sectional changes (stress concentrations in the curtain / floor junction areas were understood in the seminar, but I meant the stress concentrations that occur due to sudden section changes in the intersections where the polygon curtain arms meet, that is, in the curtain tie regions) He said that there may be plastic hinges in earthquakes.. Regards .. vuralfatihtaner@gmail.com (I will ask you to inform by email ..) +90 534 310 97 73

Re: tension of the cross-sections of the curtain arms in polygon curtains Hello; It is possible for stress concentrations to occur in polygonal curtains or normal curtains as you said in my sudden section changes. This can be seen by making a small example. In the picture below, I created a sudden cross-sectional change in the curtain and examined the stress results under the effect of earthquake. As can be seen, significant stress concentrations have occurred where the section narrows. Although what these values are and their safety depends on the structure and the incoming load, there is a high probability of plasticization. For this reason, the finite element results in structures with such discontinuities should be carefully examined. This was actually the reason why I explained the situation in curtain-flooring or flooring discontinuities at the seminar. For this reason, sudden cross-section changes should be avoided as much as possible. The discontinuity created in any structural element has a very high potential to create stress concentration. Therefore, in structures with discontinuities, it is critical to operate with two-dimensional finite elements and to control the results. The program automatically checks the finite element results according to the reinforcement and concrete condition. But you can also examine the finite element results to see the stress results and whether slumps have occurred.

Back