Steel Cross Section Conditions

MustafaAkın20

Hello, I am a new user of steel module, I had a question. I can't see the steel cross section condition check in the reports. Do we need to adjust? Thanks.

Hello there; In order to control the cross-sectional conditions required by TBDY 2018, you must select the system elements that carry the earthquake load of the structure with the moment-transmitting and central cross commands in the Analysis and Design main tab. For this, the following path can be followed in general: 1- Moment-transmitting frame elements on the outer axis are columns and beams; It should be selected after clicking the moment transferring icon. 2- Columns, beams and braces, which are the elements of central braced systems on the outer axis, should be selected. 3- It should be analyzed. 4- When the report is received, it can be seen that the cross-section condition is checked. For detailed information:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Yes, I tried, but I don't understand, we already define the x and y direction R coefficient in the analysis wizard. Why do you need to do this afterwards? Because after the defined R coefficient, let's say that R:5 was chosen, for example, with a central cross in the y direction. It is wrong to define a frame that transfers moment in this direction, or I should not do it anyway. I couldn't understand why we need to define frames as moment-transmitting or center-crossed later on, Ms. Nurgül. Because I also use Sap2000. There we make definitions such as X and YR coefficients according to directions, OMF SMF etc. according to ductility level in design. I think I could explain my problem :)

Hello there; Yes, but sap2000 does not have other special controls of moment transmitting frames and mechanism state calculation of central braces. In other foreign programs that make these calculations, these transactions are made like Bentley products. Because if you look at TBDY 2018 Chapter 9 central braced frames, there is a control to be taken as the upper limit for element design, which must be calculated with the buckling and post-buckling balance equations of the braces. For this control, it is necessary to select the frame. Because this choice is open to engineering interpretation. Generally, in multi-storey buildings, it is assumed that the outer axles work against seismic loads and the inner section works against vertical loads, but in a non-standard structure, you can make a different engineering assumption and design accordingly. For this reason, the program makes you choose these elements as a preliminary preparation.

Back